Desperately seeking homes for our hives! If you have a space you think might work for one of our beehives we'd love to hear from you. Don’t worry, you don’t need to be a professional beekeeper, the Bee Mission team and their beekeepers can come and maintain the Hive and the bees for you. Keeping bees is a great hobby for you and all the family, here are some of the benefits:
- Helps the environment
- Helps the economy
- A fantastic subject to study
- Passes on great lessons to children
- Provides a great sense of community
- Relaxing and can calm stress
- Improves pollination of garden, crops and flowers
- Bees can fit in almost anywhere
- You get to dress like an astronaut
- Honey has great health benefits
- They are very low maintenance
If you are considering having a beehive, here are some things to consider:
How much space do you need?
Bees can be kept anywhere from country fields to urban gardens and small terrace or balconies. A typical beehive is around 22 by 16 inches, and you need roughly 5 feet of space around each Hive.
What will your neighbours think?
If you have a large garden, it is possible your neighbours wouldn’t even notice the Hive. We wouldn’t advise placing directly on a boundary with your neighbour and the entrance to the Hive shouldn't be near a footpath or busy area of the garden.
We have the expertise to help discuss what might work for you and we endeavour to supply our Hives with the happiest, most well behaved bees we can produce!
To be considered as a foster family please contact us for further information.